Patriata, also known as New Murree, is a popular tourist destination located in the Murree Hills of the Punjab province in Pakistan. It is situated about 15 kilometers northeast of Murree town and stands at an altitude of approximately 7,500 feet (2,300 meters) above sea level. Patriata is well-known for its scenic beauty, lush green landscapes, and pleasant climate, which make it a favored hill station for both local and international tourists.
The history of Patriata is deeply intertwined with the colonial era of the Indian subcontinent. During British rule, the region of Murree was discovered and developed as a hill station to escape the scorching heat of the plains. The British administrators and soldiers found the area’s climate and natural beauty to be conducive for relaxation and recuperation from the oppressive summer heat.
The development of Patriata began around the late 19th century when the British authorities recognized its potential as a health resort. They built several cottages and infrastructure to cater to their needs, including the construction of roads and pathways to enhance accessibility. The British planted various species of trees, which contributed to the area’s picturesque landscapes that are still admired today.
After the partition of British India in 1947, Murree and Patriata became part of Pakistan, and the tourism industry in the region continued to grow. Over the years, the Pakistani government and private entrepreneurs invested in developing Patriata’s tourist facilities further, building hotels, restaurants, and entertainment spots to accommodate the increasing number of visitors.
- Patriata Chairlift: One of the main attractions in Patriata is the chairlift, which takes visitors on an exhilarating ride from the base to the top of the hill. The chairlift offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and lush valleys, making it a memorable experience for tourists.
- New Murree Zoo: The zoo in Patriata houses a diverse collection of wildlife, including various species of birds and animals, providing an enjoyable outing for families and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Mukshpuri Trek: For adventurous tourists, Patriata serves as a starting point for trekking to the nearby Mukshpuri Peak. The trek offers stunning views of the Himalayan foothills and lush greenery.
- Patriata Water Park: Another popular spot is the water park, which provides a fun-filled experience for visitors, especially during the hot summer months.
- Lush Greenery and Scenic Views: Simply strolling around Patriata offers a refreshing experience due to its pleasant weather, lush green landscapes, and stunning panoramic views.
Patriata continues to attract tourists from all over Pakistan and beyond, seeking a break from the urban hustle and bustle and enjoying the tranquility and natural beauty that the region has to offer. The local economy heavily relies on tourism, making it an essential aspect of the area’s prosperity and development.